Click above to shop!
Thank you Village Harvest for sponsoring this post. Every day Village Harvest is planting seeds of change and growing possibilities, one bag of goodness at a time.
I'm so excited to bring you an easy weeknight dinner recipe in collaboration with Village Harvest. An overwhelming number of you said YES to wanting more easy dinner ideas when I asked you all on my instagram stories a couple of weeks ago. Let's face it, life IS busy and adulting IS hard and we don't always have time to prepare an elaborate meal on Wednesday night. Rice bowls are one of our family's go-to easy weeknight dinners. Village Harvest's Origins Collection of organic ready-to-serve rice makes it even easier to prepare a healthy family meal in a snap.
These rainbow rice bowls use Village Harvest's Lemon Rice with Turmeric from India as the base, but they also have 4 other amazing authentic recipes from India and Thailand in the collection: Basmati & Lentil – India, Tikka Masala – India, Coconut Turmeric – Thailand, Thai Green Curry – Thailand. And the best part is everything is Organic & Non-GMO, 100% Whole Grain, Gluten Free, so you don't have to worry about what feeding your loved ones. You can read more about and shop all of the varieties here.
I topped these bowls with a warm spring beans and shaved asparagus salad, different colorful raw veggies for the rainbow effect and pickled onions. The topping ideas are endless, you can bake some tofu with maple syrup, sesame oil and tamari or broil wild salmon for a more protein-rich meal. Use any veggies you have on hand - there are no rules! Add seeds or nuts for a crunchy element. Pickled veggies or kimchi are always a nice addition as well. This is where you get creative!
Next time your kids have a gazillion after-school activities on the same day (why does that always seem to happen btw???) or you're working late to meet that deadline, or you're sick of the same old dinner stand-by's, reach for a bag of delicious and authentic Village Harvest Origins to ignite your appetite and discover the delicious side of dinner. Then pat yourself on the back for feeding your family a smart and simple meal solution in as little as 90 seconds because you deserve it!
Recipe after the jump...
Weeknight Rainbow Rice Bowls with Village Harvestby Kaity Farrell
Beautiful and healthy rainbow rice bowls have never been easier with help from Village Harvest’s ready-to-serve rices!
Prep time: | Cook time:
- 2 pouches of Village Harvest Lemon Rice with Turmeric
- 1 cup sugar snap or snow peas
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen shelled green peas
- 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 4 asparagus stalks
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup cucumber slices
- 1-2 cups sprouts or salad greens
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt, divided
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs such as parsley or tarragon
- Bring 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil in a saucepan. Have a bowl of ice water ready. Add frozen edamame and fresh peas, cover and lower heat to a low rolling boil, and time for 4-5 minutes. Then add snap or snow peas and continue cooking for 1 minute. Drain beans and edamame and shock them in the icebath so that retain a bright green color. Remove peas and edamame from iceboat and drain them well.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave asparagus into thin ribbons. Or chop into small pieces.
- Prepare the dressing in a jar. Add olive oil, remaining salt, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, honey or maple syrup, black pepper and chopped herbs. Seal jar and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds to emulsify the dressing.
- Toss the peas, edamame, asparagus in a bowl with the dressing. Save some dressing to top each bowl if you want.
- Heat the Village Harvest ready-to-serve rice pouches according to the package instructions.
- Serve rice into 4 bowls. Top with shredded veggies, salad, pickled onion and sprouts or leafy greens.
- Serve right away and enjoy!
Read more about my sponsored post policy here.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.